Like what you see? Want to learn more?

If you'd like to become a member of the Society, see what we have in our collection at the museum, get help with your genealogical research, or donate to the Society to help us in our efforts to revitalize the Randolph County Historical Society and museum, you can find us at www.rchsmuseum.org

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

41. County Civil War Soldiers Drown On Steamer "Acacia."



Winchester Journal, Aug. 15, 1862.




  The steamer Acacia, with 150 passengers on board, six of whom were ladies, and a cargo of sutler's goods, ran into a snag sixty miles below Memphis on the Mississippi River, on the 10th instant, and sunk in a few minutes. Seventy-five of those on board were lost.
  Lieut. Jesse Way, of the 8th Indiana Volunteers, who left Winchester two weeks ago with recruits for that regiment, was on board the Acacia and lost two of his men, John Lewis Neff, son of Lewis Neff. Senior. who lives two miles south-east of town on the Winchester and Richmond road, and George Sharp, a married man who has lived in this place about  of being attacked by the guerrillas, so we run about 15 miles when we saw a boat going up the two years. The loss of these brave men who had volunteered in the service of their country will be deeply felt by their many relatives and friends.

  By permission of William W. Smith, Esq., of the Aker House, we copy the following from a letter received from his son who was on board the Acacia at the time she wrecked:  Helena, Arkansas, Aug, 1862.  Dear Mother,-- I arrived here safely on last evening, but had bad luck on the way, night before last. We left Memphis Tenn. for Helena at 8 o'clock P.M. and about half past midnight the boat struck a snag, and sunk in a few moments. I happened to be outside on the parlor deck asleep when she struck. It awakened me and I jumped up and ran for the bow of the boat, when she upset. Two barrels rushed against me and raised me five or six feet in the air and pitched me into the river. I kept hold of one of the barrels for a few seconds, then I crawled on the wreck of the boat. She commenced sinking again, and after pulling off my coat and boots, jumped overboard. I sank twice and as I came up the _______  Lieut. Way pushed me a barrel and he got hold of a box and we started for the shore. Two Dutchmen got hold of the Lieut's box but they both sank and drowned. I followed the Lieut. to the shore, but the bank was so steep that I could not crawl up, so I concluded to go back to the wreck and see what I could do for the other boys. When I got near the boat I heard Let White halloaing. I called Bill Ashville and he answered me. I was determined to stick to the boys to the death. I was soon on the boat again, but had not been there more than half an hour until she broke into pieces. About seventy-five of us got on the bottom of the boat, the pilot house and hulk of the boat broke off and floated away. Bill Ashville, Ike Sharp, Let White and myself staid on the main body of the boat: there were also two women on the same piece, and a lot of Irishmen, who were drunk. About 6 o'clock A.M., as we were passing a plantation we called for help and two slaves came to us with a skiff. We first sent ashore the women and then the men that could not swim. Our boys were the last to leave the wreck, except the Irish, who would not get off at all. We had floated about 40 miles. Having reached the shore, we started for Helena a-foot. We were barefooted, and the sand was so hot that it blistered our feet. We were afraid of being attacked by the guerrillas, so we run about 15 miles when we saw a boat going up the river that was a mile or so ahead of us. She stopped for wood, and we caught up with her. We went aboard and they gave us supper. We soon met a boat going down with Lieut. Way and Frank Puckett on board. We changed boats and came on to this place. John Lewis and George Sharp drowned.  Your aff't son,   John R. Smith,   Co. G., 8th Indiana Volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment